Monday, April 29, 2013

B.M.W.B - Stopping Myself

On Friday we had the best day. We spent the morning making over t-shirts at The Make Cafe. (You can see them wearing the t-shirts in these shots).


We stopped for a smoothie on the way home - our love-tanks were full, we had had a lovely time together.

When we got home the boys were playing so I whipped out the polar fleece for the 7 pairs of boy-trackies I needed to make. Like moths to the flame I ended up with 2 helpers. I got the trackies cut out but I got less and less gracious about my boys hanging about and moving things, and taking the scraps before I was finished cutting.... then, instead of letting resentment turn into angry words and sad attempts to send them to something 'more fun'...

I stopped myself.


I reminded myself it's school holidays - I'd achieved enough it was time to stop and enjoy my boys.

So I sent them to get teddies and I let them use my very special sewing scissors, and we turned the fought-over scraps into scarves. (FYI - no sewing required - cut tassles at each end of a long strip and cut a very small hole about 2/3rds of the way up to thread one end through. You can also make big people scarves the same way.)


They were so pleased. We even ended up whipping up a few hats on the sewing machine - Flip did his himself.

By Friday night I felt SO pleased with the day we'd had. I'm so glad I stopped myself and turned what was becoming resentment into a special time. (And on Saturday morning when they were out with The Atlas I sewed up 7 pairs of trackies - no stress, no grumping).


I love that this journey is helping me to stop myself in the ingrained patterns of selfishness and helping me to enjoy more time with these boys. I know most days I'm still not perfect but because I blog about it and because it matters so much to me I am looking for those little opportunities, and because of that I am becoming slowly, step by step, the mama I want to be.

Becoming the Mama I want to be is about taking time to enjoy the journey of parenting, to honour it's value and to hopefully inspire and encourage each other. 

Create Hope Inspire


Simple. Achievable. Intentional: becoming the mama I want to be

I look forward to seeing your linkies this week. If you want the code for the button is just on the right ------------>
There are no rules though - just a welcome place to enjoy the journey of parenthood. I don't mind a bit if you forget to link on your post. Do check back for other wonderful inspiring posts though.....