Thursday, July 10, 2014

May My Week - Stop Collaborate and Listen

or so the song goes!

This is my Monday project - Bounce left behind his red 'spotty dotty' baby blanket in NZ when we moved and he has been pining for it. So I said we could make him something with spotty dotty on it (textured minky type fabric) it is on the back of his new blankie.


I chose the blues and greens. Not because they are his favourite (pink and purple currently are) but because I hope they will grow with him through different colour phases (and they are my favourites!). I don't mind that his favourite colours are pink and purple but I suspect they will change over time and as he grows up he may have strong thoughts about pink and purple so we went for something more neutral.


I bought the fabrics about a month ago and showed them to him with the promise of 'in the school holidays'.

I pinned this triangle quilt and used the triangle size as my template but we used 8 colours and I cut 16 of each which makes ours bigger and more varied.


I cut out the triangles in stacks of 4 fabric types and Bounce separated them out. Then he and I worked on the layout together - I love how happy this made him. Then I sewed and he brought me each new triangle at a time so we kept the order right.



He chose the buttons (it's just a top and bottom so not technically a quilt) and I sewed them in various places to hold it together. As always the back and front aren't quite the same size, there is some bagging!
pointing out the buttons I like

He loves it though and we've all snuggled under it for holiday reading. I love the feeling of collaborating together on a project and I think this is a pretty good make for someone as inaccurate as me.

"It's reversible mama." You can just see the hint of the green 'spotty dotty' fabric around his wee face.


Joining in with many more accurate crafters here

 Show & Tell Thursday's
love you more than cow buttons and spotty dotty fabric xxx