Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Books That Keep You Up At Night

So you might remember how excited I was at the beginning of the month to purchase Spark by the delicious Rachael Craw.

I actually read the whole thing in 2 sittings and I loved it. (I sent Rachael one of those shouty all in capitals emails after it).

Spark has all sorts of plot reviews and author interviews all over the web (although I did consider sending Rachael some questions - I might when number 2 comes out). So I won't give you the run down suffice to say it's sci-fi, fast paced, and keeps you turning the pages because you just have to keep up.

As I read it I assumed I had it all figured out and how it would pan out - I was wrong, I was surprised and I was left satisfied but unsatisfied in the way the best books do.

I keep thinking about the characters, I want to pick it up and read it again already, I feel kind of jealous of Rachael because she 'knows' the characters, they are hers, she can just check in and chat to them whenever she likes. Rachael also knows what will happen in books 2 and 3 - she's probably already read them!!

I quite it when a book makes me all irrational like that!

Because I know Rachael I desperately wanted to like her book, and I desperately wanted other people to like it (no problems there it's all good reviews from the ones I've read), so I was a little scared of reading it. How do you honestly tell someone who has sweated and laboured over something if you don't really like it? Thankfully I loved it. When I read it again soon I am confident I will get more on the second reading too - it's that kind of book.

If you want to clap your hands on your own copy it seems to be all around the place at present. I hope you love it as much as I did - for you and for Rachael. Go team!

Details - Walker Books published July 2014, RRP $21.99 NZ, $19.95 Au, there's even a discussion guide for teachers/pupils.

love you more than a reading hangover xxxx