Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Double Shot of Happiness

Hi, hi lovelies,

Billed as a book about the wonderful and inspiring journey of Tim Sharp from his autism diagnosis to his career as a renowned artist I found this book was more of Judy's journey.


Judy is Tim's mother and the writer of the book. This is her story - it is the story of a mother who has journeyed with great commitment to her 2 sons through the heartbreak of Tim's diagnosis, as a survivor of an abusive relationship and as a solo mother.

I so enjoyed this book. It was different from what I was expecting. It does cover Tim's journey and I was certainly captured by the humour and talent Tim obviously has but it is much more.

I loved the honesty with which Judy writes - she talks about her own insecurities, her guilt and struggles. I found myself thinking of the mamas I know who are going solo, the mamas I know who have children who don't fit the box, and the conversations and dreams that all mamas have for their children.

I think this book is a wonderfully uplifting read and it will give hope to anyone who has been treated with a lack of dignity or given a diagnosis without grace or humanity. I also think it would be great reading for any professionals - teachers, doctors, psychologists, case workers..... who journey with autism.

Tim's artistic triumph is not his alone; it is a triumph for a mother, a family and for all those in the community who have been told they can never amount to anything. I applaud Judy and Tim for the wonderful and inspiring lives they are living and for the massive generosity that they lavish on those around them.

A beautiful read.

Details - Allen & Unwin May 2015, RRP $32.99 also available as an ebook.

love you more than a cheeky cartoon xxx