Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Make My Week and Wardrobe Wednesday - New Look Workroom 6070

So a while ago my sister made this very same pattern - you can see her very sexy version here.

I loved it on her but generally thought it wouldn't be great for me because her and I have very different body shapes. However,  I tried her version on and it fit me perfectly and I liked it on.... the fact that it fit me was really bazaar too.


She is a size 10 pretty much everywhere, mostly straight up and down, lovely long straight up and down legs, and side on much narrower than me.

I am a 12 and sometimes a 14 on the top, I go in and out (The Atlas calls them dangerous curves - I love that guy!), I have 'athletic looking' legs and I have very broad shoulders and I'm generally bigger side on.

She also has opposite colouring to me as well - anyone would think she belonged to the postie!! (My dad was a postie when she was born... so that's kind of an 'in' joke)


So I am surprised and thrilled that this pattern works SO well on us both. (I think it's perhaps slightly better on her). I would never have picked the pattern from the envelope either..... it's also a 'completely from stash' pattern. Zip - exposed, lining, fabric all in the stash and pattern borrowed.

And just for fun the round the house version - in my new Cath Kidston apron and The Atlas slippers! So stylish no? This is how I wore it for washing dishes, making tortillas, baking cupcakes...


Outfit:
Tights Farmers
Shoes - Rubi in Melbourne
Dress - Handmade New Look Workroom pattern 6070, fabric from Spotlight
Bangle - op shop Matakana 50 cents
Slippers - from Trade Aid - everything from there is awesome


Joining in with Leonie
 Show & Tell Thursday's
and Kelly


are you ever surprised by outfits or looks that work on really different bodies?



21 comments:

Max said...

My absolute fave so far, love the fit and colours x

Cat said...

This is awesome on you
Would love to get back into dress making

Daenel T. said...

That is just too cute. It's funny how the same pattern looks so different depending on color and fabric. I like yours and your sister's versions.

Sophie said...

Loving that fabric and dress on you! And that background is gorgeous! Love that colour - so peppy!! xx

Naomi said...

Super cute! And I love the tights and shoes with it xx

Catching the Magic said...

WOWZERS! Your Atlas is a lucky man! I love that you successfully wear colour and this pattern looks amazing on you! (I'm noticing and loving the shoes too!). I see your updates on WW and feel a little bolder about my future wardrobe choices - but then you carry off this style with your lovely flirtatious smile in a way that's so special to you :)

Vintage Bird Girl said...

Hello from your newest Aussie follower. I LOVE that frock on you! It's funny because my sister & I have completely different body shapes as well. I love reading Christchurch bloggers, it's my hubby & my favourite city. We have holidayed there each year for the past 6 years. We're planning another trip later in the year....God willing!
Leisa Xx

Unknown said...

That dress is gorgeous! Love the pattern!

Charlie said...

What clever sisters! You both look great but I do love the pattern of your dress. It's wowsy! It really rocks with the apron and slippers.

Lily EBVS said...

Holy moly -- that dress looks great; so impressed you made it!
--Lily
Fifth Freedom Fashion

Hootnz said...

That looks fab on you and I really like the shape....I had a look at your sisters version too....I might have to look this pattern up!

Also I'm in apron love! ( and trade aid rocks! )

Rach said...

You are the dress pro :)

Leonie said...

Love everything about this - the fabric and cut and fit. I hope to have some time to one day get round to having a go!

Notchka said...

Yeow - love the fabric. I think sometimes we are our own worst enemies in terms of trying new shapes and styles for our bodies. If I had a penny for every women who come to me with a fully formed idea of what won't work and who I was able to surprise and delight.......the trick is to try new things as body shape is not a static thing for 99.9% of people. Also the skill of the pattern drafter comes into play and thats worth remembering :)

Schulz Family said...

I love both of the outfits. Well done to you both. Visiting from Show and Tell

Unknown said...

Perfect fit! Love the fabric as well!

mommy Orkid Belle said...

Oh my! That is one lovely dress and I love the cut of the dress. I want to make my own dress as well. One of these days. Right now I have been making some dresses and skirts for my little girl from scraps and need to buy new fabrics again. Love it! I hope to link up again next time. :)

Ajaire said...

Wow it's a perfect fit. You're making me want to go out and get that pattern :)

Monica said...

This looks fantastic on you...I love a magic dress that looks great on different shapes!

Courtney @ Sweeter Than Cupcakes said...

Great fabric choice!

Unknown said...

Oh I love this dress! I've made the dress too and posted it on my new blog http://www.katecorrie.moonfruit.com/#/blog/4575339384/Welcome-Spring/

However, funnily enough my sister wants one too - but with a nautical theme so i'm thinking navy blue with a white sash and some buttons somewhere! It was good to hear that the pattern worked well for both of you as i'm nervous to make one for my sister!

Did you find the skirt pleats at all puffy?