Tuesday, October 2, 2012

B.M.W.B #40 - Taking the Lead

So much of parenting is about adjusting and re-adjusting the limits and letting little ones take more of a lead.

A couple of weeks ago we did some awesome crayon art - Bounce was very upset that the art was hung on the family art wall instead of in his room because he did it. So I promised more crayon art in the holidays. I do love the holidays we are planning to try a few crafty things this holidays!

This time I gave them smaller canvases and freer reign. I still maintained a firm grip on the hot glue gun but they selected it all and then we went for launch.

One of the things I can really struggle with as a mama is the control thing. I let me boys dress themselves and when it comes time to cover books at the beginning of the year I let Flip make most of the choices - these things are both easy and difficult for me - easy because it takes the hassle and drama out of forcing 'good clothes' or nicely cut out sensible pictures but hard because you send a stack of books to school with badly cut out weird choices on them - for me these are small sacrifices my pride has to make in order to allow my boys age appropriate choices. Choices that make them think about what they like and trust that they can do it.

Do you find giving your children more decision making opportunities easy or difficult?

Also I find so much of the time I find mama's doing great things with their kids - I wondered if you would be keen for me to do a couple of link-ups where people can put in posts of ways they have been more intentional about parenting or cool and simple activities that have allowed them to intentionally invest time with their kids - would you be keen to read these kind of posts from other people too?


This year I am making more of a conscious effort to have quality moments with my boys. B.M.W.B (becoming the mama I want to be)  is my way of recording and hopefully inspiring other mama’s too. Please inspire me with the little moments you are snatching with your little people OR with ideas I could do with mine. If you have blogged about it please leave a comment so we can all visit and encourage each other. 

Simple. Achievable. Intentional: becoming the mama I want to be.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My kids are older, and although it was tough to give them (and teach them how) to make their own decisions, the sooner they learn how to do it, the better! Even young ones need to be prepared to know WHO they are, WHAT they want, and HOW to get there, and it all starts with making these simple decisions when they are younger.
XOXO
-Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
http://psbananas.com

Leonie said...

Yes it's tricky - I let the girls make as many decisions as possible - dress, tasks, colours orders of events, etc etc all within reason of course and ask for their input in day to day jobs, dinners, craft projects etc etc... All with the intent to let their personalities shine and for them to learn how to make up their own minds and decisions in time. Am always up for new ideas!

Naomi said...

Such adorable photos! And loving the art. Well done boys!