Monday, January 21, 2013

B.M.W.B # 4 - Letting the Day Roll

I love holidays with my wee men. In our family I want to create a real sense of team - everyone having ownership, everyone's input being valuable. I love that at my boys ages (6 and 4) it's really easy to do these things.

So this week when Flip suddenly requested playdough we let our day take a new direction.

I let them pick their own colours and we found some glitter to add too. I let them add things for the mixture, Flip read the recipe for me too and they both kneaded the colour through themselves and then they played and I chatted - 'oh who's making me a biscuit', 'look those bears are in the spa pool'.

They felt so proud of there personalised creations. Another thing we might do another time is add some kind of scent (spices or essential oils) to add another element for the senses.

Here's the recipe we use:
1 c flour                              2 tsp cream of tartar                               1 Tbs oil
1/2 c salt                            1 c boiling water                                      food colouring

Mix flour, salt, oil and cream of tartar
Add boiling water and mix
(if you want to knead colour through let it cool a bit before you give it to children to play with)


I have so enjoyed reading the posts you've been linking in.

There are a couple of mama's I've especially asked to link in with the beautiful posts they have written about parenting this week. Do come back in have an inspiring read of other people's great ideas.

What are you loving about parenting??

Create Hope Inspire
Becoming the Mama I want to be is about taking time to enjoy the journey of parenting, to honour it's value and to hopefully inspire and encourage each other. I'd love to have your linky if you are keen.

You can grab the button code on the right if you'd like to :o)

Simple. Achievable. Intentional: becoming the mama I want to be



5 comments:

Naomi said...

Very cute!

Ange - Tall, Short and Tiny said...

Fun!! Love the idea of making it such a sensory experience. And great idea to use those trays to contain everything xx

Leonie said...

Love these kinds of days - the best and they are the ones that memories are made of. :)

Bron said...

Best playdough recipe ever....great that the boys enjoyed making it with you. xx

Rach said...

Very cool way to approach things - trays look like a good idea too :)