Tuesday, May 22, 2012

B.M.W.B #21 - Stitching and Learning From My Boys

Sometimes I think my blog must be a little confusing - sure I could probably gain a stronger following if I just focussed on one of the things I blog about - parenting, clothing, crafting, sewing, food, my faith journey - but the point for me is that this is my journey. It is my voice, and random and 'squiggly' as it may seem this is reflective of the person that I am.
I go a million miles an hour, when I am not being lazy(which I am quite often)! I think other people can feel a bit like I needn't try so hard or put in so much effort and I am learning to hear that not as a 'rejection', or as a 'tone yourself down please', or even as a 'you're embarrassing because you try-too-hard' but just to hear it as 'we love you as you are'. I LOVE heaps of things and I ADORE loads of people. I like being alive and I like doing, talking, making, performing, entertaining, achieving. I could definitely do a bit more reflective thinking, my house could be a lot cleaner and tidier,  I could certainly be a better listener..... but this is my journey and I find it fascinating that people choose to read my journey and come along for the ride...whatever part of that ride you like.
I like all of it :-)

This week I have finally done some sewing with my boys, following Juliet's example recently. I was doing some sewing myself one night just before Flip went to bed and I said I would do some with him one night and he was so keen. Initially I said no because it was 10 minutes until bedtime and then I realised it doesn't matter we could have 10 lovely minutes together if I just got him some things too. And we did have 10 lovely minutes together (or maybe 12 but that's what it is about!) and the next day he took it on himself to very carefully show Bounce the way.

They loved it and they really worked in such a focussed way. I love that kids are interested in the things that interest us. They want to be involved and they don't have the barriers of judgement or fear of getting it wrong. They just get in.
I so want to preserve that self-belief for as long as I can in my boys. That thing that says 'I haven't tried it before but I'll probably enjoy it and I might learn something new''. That's a skill I need more in me too. Too often I don't because I might not be good at it immediately or I have already decided it is too hard, requires too much effort or I won't like it.
What is something you are trying to learn from your children?

This year I am making more of a conscious effort to have quality moments with my boys. B.M.W.B (becoming the mama I want to be)  is my way of recording and hopefully inspiring other mama’s too. Please inspire me with the little moments you are snatching with your little people OR with ideas I could do with mine. If you have blogged about it please leave a comment so we can all visit and encourage each other.

Simple. Achievable. Intentional: becoming the mama I want to be.
and because I love that learning is a reciprocal arrangement, joining in here

3 comments:

tartankiwi said...

Don't you just love their concentration while they're sewing! So glad that you gave it a go. Can't wait to see some of Flip & Bounce's masterpieces!

Hootnz said...

I love your randomness.. keep up the good work!

I have really enjoyed the night time sewing with my boy, his wallhanging is coming along nicely :)

I also gave you a bloggy award because you have been so inspiring to me .... go check it out here http://hootnz.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/liebster-blog-award.html

Simoney said...

You're awesome miriam.
My hubby came across that lovely postcard you sent me and was really touched by the words you wrote. That verse was very appropraite he thought, and it encouraged him greatly - as it did me. (BTW Did I thank you for that??? In my mind I DID, but sometimes I think I've done things when i actually haven't)

I love that you are just WHO YOU ARE - passionate and interested in so many things.
I think I'd love to be your friend if we met in Real life.
xx