Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Bookish - The Adventures of EggBox Dragon

Nga mihi,

I'm sure I've said it hundreds of times but I am a lover of picture books. The Adventures of Egg Box Dragon by Richard Adams (of Watership Down fame) and illustrated by Alex T Smith was very well received at our place.


Bounce read it before I'd even had a chance to flick through it and urged me to read it on a few occasions. I adore that the start of the book is the creation of Egg Box Dragon, which really appeals to the crafter in me.

The illustration style is one I really like, it has a vintagey aesthetic. I also really like that the queen in the story is not caucasian. It's something I'm becoming more and more aware of when I read, and I think it is special for all children to see themselves frequently represented in books. Of course there needs to be a lot of swing in order to make it a more even playing field but I really notice and appreciate seeing these changes.

The story is sweet and I like that the hero is imperfect, again there is a relate-ability in this that appeals.

This is a lovely hard back book perfect for dragon lovers, crafters and those who enjoy a good tale.

Details - Hachette NZ, 31 October 2017 RRP $21.99HB

love you more than a good craft project xxx